- Facilitate walk-through sessions.
- Encourage collaboration and resolve queries in a timely manner.
- Validate understanding. For example, let the readers present it to subject matter experts.
- The quantity and quality of questions asked by readers
- Level of participation or collaboration in walk-through sessions
- Quality of document handed off and user feedback
- Quality of the outcome (for example, the next level of work products such as test cases or source code).
Believe it or not, most software projects cannot do without documentation and many of them require significant documentation handoff from initial days. Beware! Documentation handoff can and will become a trap in your project. You need to be cautious!